jeudi 7 février 2008

Few questions about the Freedom Writers ( amélioré et 2ème corrigé )

1. Why did Ms Gruwell have the Freedom Writers study the Holocaust and meet Holocaust survivors?
Ms. Gruwell had the Freedom Writers study the Holocaust, the theme was race and the Jews. The Freedom Writers do the same between them. She wants them to meet Holocaust survivors to give them an example. Holocaust says them his story, he lived in the discrimination. For example in the diary 36: " I am not going to understand because they don't understand me! I thought I was a smart-ass for asking her this question." She said: " You haven't even bothered to open the front cover. Try it, you never know. The book may come to life before your eyes." Diary entry 4: " My once apathetic students seemed to transform themselves into scholars with a conscience.

2. How did the Freedom Writers relate to Anne Frank? Give examples.
The Freedom Writers are very interested in reading this book. They compare the story in the book to their life. For example, in the diary 36: " Just like her, I knew the feeling of discrimination and to be looked down upon based on the way you look. Just like her, I sometimes feel like a bird in a cage and just want to fly away."
Diary 37: " Like Anne and Zlata, I have an enemy who is gung-ho for dictatorsship: my father."
Diary 38: " Zlata and I seem to have a lot in common because while Zlata was living though a war in Sarajevo..."

3. In what way Zlata Filipovic impacted the students’ lives? Give examples from several writers. What really surprised the Freedom writers?
Zlata Filipovic lived the same things as the Freedom writers did. For example in diary 37, they compare their life with Zlata and Frank : " I'm beginning to realize that Anne Frank, Zlata Filipovic, and I have a lot in common.

Diary 38, they compare their evenements with Zlata : " Zlata and I both had to hide for our safety."

Diary 39, they say that they aren't alone : " I believe we should all be aware of, and also to realize that we are not alone."

Diary 40, they want to know Zlata : " I began to hope that Zlata really would come to meet us, but for now, all I and the rest of our classmates could do was keep writing and keep our fingers crossed."

The Freedom writers were surprised that Zlata came to meet them.


4.In diary 47, the writer says: ”Now if you ask me what race I am, like Zlata, I’ll simply say, “I’m a human being.””How could you explain that quote? Do you relate to it?
This writer thinks race doesn't exist. It's a surprising and important quote.


1 commentaire:

Unknown a dit…

Make sure you grab the new book Diary of A Freedom Writer from co-author of the original Freedom Writers Diary author Darrius Garrett that was portrayed as the character Marcus in the movie Freedom Writers starring Hilary swank.

Pick up Dairy of A Freedom Writer from your local bookstore or Amazon & Barnes & Noble Booksellers.